Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Closing the Employment Study

Busy times and important decisions have been the basis for the last several months. I have been visiting and learning about my birth nation, these United States of America. I have traveled from the Redneck Riviera to the Capital of Corruption. I have discussed, over fried oysters and shrimp washed down with the king of beers, the frustration of the Baby Boomer. I have debated, to Beef Wellington and Banana Fosters accompanied by a local wine from Virginia, the ills of corruption and cowboy capitalism. I have concluded that we are all the same. No one really cares about where we are or where we are going as long as they feel they can make a buck along the way.

Well, thousands of resumes have been sent. Recruiters have contacted and interviews conducted. In the end what can I say? There is no shortage of qualified labor. I was turned down, or should I say merely not contacted, for every position. There may be a shortage of cheap slave labor. A need for people who will do what they are told and never raise questions or, worse yet, have the mental capability or charisma to help other workers act in their own best interest. Companies, in the highly competitive world of technology where smarts should be the name of the game, can afford to let qualified people, with significant experience get away.

Why did I decide to do this project or write about the current situation in the US? It does not change anything for me. I will be just fine and my children live in Italy. I am not a masochist, I simply love my country and I feel a responsibility to the nation where I was born. I did not serve in the armed forced. The draft had just been eliminated when my turn came. This is my way of serving my country. It is a way to give back. I feel every individual has a responsibility, not only to his family but also to his country and to the progression of the human race. The greater the talents received, the greater the responsibility.

Many think of me as looking for the bad in this great nation. The government, most likely, has listed me as subversive. I can live with that. My efforts may be in vain, but I will write, even risk being blacklisted on the no fly register, to offer a different view of our nation. I believe the country is made up of WE THE PEOPLE. I believe that this is our country. I believe that the government’s sole responsibility is to enact the will of the people. I believe that every politician must, at the risk of his career or the corporate perks, vote the will of the people. We are not the ignorant mass. We, as our ancestors, have sacrificed for this country. It was built on our blood, our sweat, and our talents. We must overcome all who want to give away our birthright but to do this we must have valid information. I will do my small part.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home