Friday, August 03, 2007

Infrastructures, Economy Tanking and Food Poisoning


So many events, what to discuss this week? It seems, thinking about politics and politicians, only negative things come to mind. Some will say that Americans want someone to blame for everything bad that happens. I believe it is more that Americans are very lucky. Notwithstanding our superficial “what have you done for me today” mentality, the United States has not suffered too much. I am not sure if it is just the law of probability working in our favor or somehow we are more resilient than other nations. Any way you look at it, we are lucky.

Our infrastructures need several trillion dollars in repairs, not new construction, simply repairs. One third of our population is “Food Insecure”. Product recalls for dangerous and poisonous products occur at about 1 a week. Some come from China. Some are homegrown. All are the result of economic policy that favors short-term thinking and is the result of corruption. Someone is making a buck at the expense of our nation’s physical and economic health.

The most recent data suggests that Hillary Clinton will win the next election and that most Americans are not concerned about political dynasties. In other words, most Americans do not see a need for change. Change cannot occur if it is not desired. We cannot build a better future if we do not see anything to improve today. A baby boomer friend explained it to me this way. “I suffered, I paid the price. I have been there and got the T Shirt. My children and grandchildren can pay their dues.”

What can I respond to that? A government really is the face of the people.

Tags:

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home