Friday, February 22, 2008

Private companies to provide National Health Care. That is an Oxymoron!

My wife and I sat through the latest Democratic Debate. They jested back and forth mostly in agreement. Amnesty for illegal aliens. Border security without a fence. Better relations with Mexico? Applause erupted from the mostly Mexican crowd in Austin. It is a shame that candidates forgot they were running for President of the United States. Somehow they believe that Texas is Mexican. I guess us white folk do not count anymore. I am not really concerned about this so much since I believe the upcoming financial disaster will trump all. It will be a shame when America blames Mexicans for the problems and true unrest focuses on Immigrants, legal and illegal alike. The blame can only be placed on the politicians who do not have the balls to tell America the truth about the economy and the problems created by dislocations of resources.

The candidates believed they would score points contrasting their health insurance programs. They have given the private insurance programs the name of national health care. Both programs are nothing more the entrenching the insurance companies farther into government just like the latest Medicare reform. Just for the record the only way America can step into the world of equality for all is what they are calling the “one payer system”. That would cost too much! Quality of care would go down. We do not want to be France.

None of these statements are true. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) the countries with the best care in the world are “One Payer Systems”. They also offer healthcare to all their citizens at ½ the cost for the same care here in the US. Perhaps the cost would go up if we intend to give healthcare to all Mexicans. The idea that somehow the quality is reduced is false. I can speak of Europe where I lived for 20 years. The national healthcare was a bit slower for some exotic treatments yet the quality of care is significantly better in Europe across the board. If you are rich and you want to pay for private insurance your treatment is even better because all national healthcare systems also have a private sector.

The most important thing about the “one payer system” is that no family’s wealth is wiped out because of an illness. No family will go bankrupt. No children will have to live on the streets because a parent gets ill. No individual has to make the choice whether to eat or buy medicine. When I was young and had 4 kids the national healthcare system was very important. It allowed me to keep my family healthy while I worked on building a future. Italy lost a bit of money on me in the short run but over time I well paid for the services rendered. Once my family was stable I received all of my care from the private system while I still paid, as part of my taxes, for the public system.

I was glad to pay when I had the funds. Without the National Healthcare System I would not have been able to create the businesses I created and the successive wealth. All of my money would have gone to paying for this or that medicine or medical visit. Healthcare in the US is used to maintain Class structure. It is designed to make sure that those without money never make it. Only the most fortunate, who never get sick, even have the chance of saving money. Slavery has not been abolished in the US, the shackles have simply changed form. I guess it is appropriate that in a world of virtual fences we have virtual chains.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Doctor Checkmate said...

Just like a great game of chess, there will eventually be a checkmate or resign somwhere along the way. It should be interesting to see events as they unfold.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Small Business USA said...

Thank you for commenting doctor checkmate. I too believe that things are not as they seem.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home