Monday, November 12, 2007

Veteran’s Day 2007

Veteran’s Day for some is a holiday. Some veterans prefer not to be reminded of their experience. Still, for others, it is a sad day to remember a father, brother or son (without forgetting all the women who have served). I am not a veteran. I cannot say that I have had any great loss in the family of soldiers who have died. Fortunately our family has been spared of the grief of war even though my father, grandfather, 7 uncles, 2 aunts, and a nephew have served. I watched the ceremonies with a grateful heart, knowing what terrible things can be experienced in a time of war.

I realized, these are not the times of my youth when soldiers in wheelchairs were spit upon as they returned to their homes. No respecting hotty would ever have been seen with a soldier, in or out of uniform. Today we all verbally express our appreciation for those men and women who risk their lives, leave their families and risk the mental sanity to serve our government’s bidding. Remember, like it or not, a government is the face of the people. Whether you agree with the wars or America’s foreign policy or not, our military serves and protects us. Seemingly, with all this lip service, our views of veterans have changed since I was a young whippersnapper.

Unfortunately, while our words to our veterans express appreciation and admiration, our actions speak otherwise. Veterans are the largest identifying group among the homeless. Companies do not hold jobs for veterans while serving. The government does everything it can to diminish the cost of caring for the physical and mental healthcare needs of veterans. In other words, “Thank you so much for serving instead of me. Let me shake the hand of the men and women who protect the American culture and my family. Dear veteran thank you for all you have done but now that you are no longer needed, get out of my face!”

I am amazed that our use and abuse attitude also applies to our citizens, our veterans. I get perturbed when I see politicians laying a reef on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier or visiting the Vietnam Wall. I get pissed when politicians use Veteran’s Day to talk up their personal agendas. I shout, “SHAME ON YOU, POLITICIANS! TAKE CARE OF OUR VETERANS. THEY ARE THE REASON YOU ARE ABLE TO GO AROUND FEELING SO IMPORTANT.”

To all those who serve or have served this country, Thank you for protecting my right to express my disdain for our politicians.





Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home